Desai, Sonalde and Gheda Temsah. 2014. "Muslim and Hindu Women’s Public and Private Behaviors: Gender, Family and Communalized Politics.” in Demography, Online October 2014.
Barik, Debasis and Sonalde Desai. 2014. “Patterns of Health Care Expenditure in India” in Basu, Sambit (Editor) India Infrastructure Report, 2013: Health. New Delhi: Routledge.
Desai, Sonalde. 2013. “It Takes More than a Village,” in Chandler, Clay and Adil Zainullbhai (Eds.) Reimagining India. New York: Simon and Schuster. Pp. 243-246.
Desai, Sonalde and Amit Thorat. 2013. “Beyond The Great Indian Nutrition Debate,” Economic and Political Weekly, 48(45): 18-22.
Desai, Sonalde. 2013. Women in Workforce: Burden of Success, Decline in Participation. Yojana, 57: 56-59.
*Andrist, Lester, Banerji, Manjistha and Sonalde Desai. 2013. “Negotiating Marriage: Examining the Gap between Marriage and Cohabitation in India”, in . Editors: Ravinder Kaur and Rajni Palriwala edited, Marrying in South Asia: Shifting concepts, changing practices in a globalising world. New Delhi: Orient Blackswan.
Desai, Sonalde and Amit Thorat. 2013. "Social Inequalities in Education," in Basu, Sambit (Editor) India Infrastructure Report, 2012. New Delhi: Routledge.
*Vikram, Kriti, Reeve Vaminneman and Sonalde Desai. 2012. "Linkages between maternal education and childhood immunization in India", Social Science and Medicine, 75(2): 331-339.
Desai, Sonalde and Amaresh Dubey. 2011. “Caste in 21st Century India: Competing Narratives” Economic and Political Weekly, 46(11): 40-49.
Desai, Sonalde. 2010. “The Other Half of the Demographic Dividend” Economic and Political Weekly, 45(40): 12-14.
* Desai, Sonalde and Lijuan Wu. 2010. “Structured Inequalities: Spatial Disparities in maternity Care in India,” Margin: A Journal of Applied Economics, 4(3): 293-320.
* Desai, Sonalde and Lester Andrist. 2010. “Gender Scripts and Age at Marriage in India,” Demography. 47(3):667-687.
* Desai, Sonalde and Veena Kulkarni. 2009. “Unequal Playing Field: Socio-Religious Inequalities in Educational Attainment in India" in Rakesh Basant and Abusaleh Shariff (Ed.) Muslims of India: Empirical Perspectives. New Delhi: Oxford University Press.
* Desai, Sonalde, Cecily Adams and Amaresh Dubey. 2009. “Segmented Schooling: Inequalities in Primary Education.” In Sukhdeo Thorat and Katherine Newman (Eds.) Blocked by Caste: Discrimination and Social Exclusion in Modern India. New Delhi: Oxford University Press
Desai, Sonalde, Amaresh Dubey, Reeve Vanneman and Rukmini Banerji. 2009. Private Schooling India: A New Educational Landscape India Policy Forum Vol. 5. Pp. 1-58, Bery, Suman, Barry Bosworth and Arvind Panagariya (Editors). New Delhi: Sage
* Desai, Sonalde and Manjistha Banerji. 2008. “Negotiated Identities: Male Migration and Left Behind Wives in India.” Journal of Population Research, 25(3):337-355.
* Desai, Sonalde and Veena Kulkarni. 2008. "Changing Educational Inequalities in India in the Context of Affirmative Action,” Demography, 45(2): 245-270
* Desai, Sonalde and Kiersten Johnson. 2005. “Women’s Decisionmaking and Child Health: Familial and Social Hierarchies,” in Kishor, Sunita (Edited) A Focus on Gender. Calverton, Maryland: ORC Macro.
Bloch, Francis, Vijayendra Rao and Sonalde Desai. 2004. “Wedding Celebrations as Conspicuous Consumption: Signaling Social Status in Rural India,” Journal of Human Resources. 39:675-695.
Desai, Sonalde and Rahul Kanakia. 2004. “Indian Americans: Portrait of a Diasporic Community.” Seminar, 538:48-52.
Desai, Sonalde B. 2004. “Population Change,” in Ritzer, George (Ed.) Handbook of Social Problems: A Comparative International Perspective. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage.
*.Das, Maitreyi Bordia and Sonalde Desai. 2004. “Why are Educated Women Less Likely to be Employed in India? Testing Competing Hypotheses.” Social Protection Discussion Paper Series No. 0313. Washington, D.C.: The World Bank.
Sathar, Zeba and Sonalde Desai. 2000. "Class and Gender in Rural Pakistan: Differentials in Economic Activity." In Garcia, Brigida (Ed.) Women, Poverty and Demographic Change. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Desai, Sonalde. 2000. “Maternal Education and Child Health: A Feminist Dilemma” Feminist Studies, 26(2):425-446.
Desai, Sonalde. 2000. "Maternal Education and Child Health: Evidence and Ideology". In Garcia, Brigida (Ed.) Women, Poverty and Demographic Change. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Desai, Sonalde and Katharine Sreedhar. 1999. “India: Growth and Inequity,” in Harrison, Selig, Paul H. Kreisberg and Dennis Kux (Ed.) India and Pakistan: The First Fifty Years. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
* Desai, Sonalde and Soumya Alva. 1998. “Maternal Education and Child Health: Is there a Strong Causal Relationship?” Demography, 35: 71-81.
* Desai, Sonalde and Soumya Alva. 1998. “Land Redistribution: A Population Stabilisation Strategy?” Economic and Political Weekly, 33:533-536
* Desai, Sonalde and Samia Ahmad. 1998. “Female Headed Households,” in Nelly Stromquist (Ed.) Women in the Third World. New York: Garland Publishing.
Desai, Sonalde. 1998. “Engendering Population Policy,” in Krishnaraj, M., R. Sudarshan and A. Shariff (Eds.) Gender, Population and Development. Delhi: Oxford University Press.
Sathar, Zeba and Sonalde Desai. 1996. “Work Patterns in Rural Pakistan: Intersections between Gender, Family and Class.” The Population Council Research Division Working Paper No. 90.
Desai, Sonalde. 1995. “When are Children from Large Families Disadvantaged? Evidence from Cross-National Analyses,” Population Studies, 49:195-210.
Desai, Sonalde and Devaki Jain. 1994. “Maternal Employment and Changes in Family Dynamics: The Social Context of Women’s Work in Rural South India,” Population and Development Review, 20, 115-136.
Desai, Sonalde. 1994. “Health and Equity: Refocusing on Basic Needs and Livelihood Strategies,” Research Division Working Paper No. 56. The Population Council, New York.
Desai, Sonalde. 1994. "Women's Burdens: Easing the Structural Constraints." In Sen, Gita, Adrienne Germain and Lincoln Chen (Ed.) Population Re-Considered: Health, Empowerment, and Rights. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
Desai, Sonalde. 1993. "The Impact of Family Size on Children's Nutritional Status: Insights from a Comparative Perspective," in Cynthia B. Lloyd (Ed.) 1993. Fertility, Family Size, and Structure: Consequences for Families and Children Consequences for Families and Children. New York: The Population Council.
Desai, Sonalde. 1992. “Children at Risk: The Role of Family Structure in Latin America and West Africa,” Population and Development Review, 18:689-717.
A preliminary version included in Conference Proceedings of The Demographic and Health Surveys World Conference.
Cynthia Lloyd and Sonalde Desai. 1992. "Children's Living Arrangements in Developing Countries." Population Research and Policy Review, 11:193-216.
P. Lindsay Chase-Lansdale, Robert T. Michael and Sonalde Desai. 1992. "L'Effet De L'Emploi Chez Les Meres D'Enfants En Bas Age: Le Role De L'Environnement Familial". In B. Pierrehumbert (Ed.) L'Accueil Du Jeune Enfant: Politiques et Recherches dan les Differents Pays. Paris: ESF Editeur.
Desai, Sonalde and Linda Waite. 1991. "Women's Employment During Pregnancy and After the First Birth: Occupational Characteristics and Work Commitment." American Sociological Review, 56:551-566.
P. Lindsay Chase-Lansdale, Robert T. Michael and Sonalde Desai. 1991. "Maternal Employment During Infancy: An Analysis of "Children of the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth (NLSY)". In J. Lerner and N. Galamobs (eds.) Employed Mothers and their Children. New York: Garland Publishing.
Lloyd, Cynthia B. and Sonalde Desai. 1991. "Children's Living Arrangements in Comparative Perspective." Conference Proceedings of The Demographic and Health Surveys World Conference. A substantially revised version published in Population Research and Policy Review, 1992 and listed above.
Desai, Sonalde, Robert T. Michael, and P. Lindsay Chase-Lansdale. 1990. "The Home Environment: A Mechanism Through Which Maternal Employment Affects Child Development." Population Council Working Paper No. 20.
Desai, Sonalde, P. Lindsay Chase-Lansdale and Robert T. Michael 1989. "Mother or Market? Effects of Maternal Employment on Intellectual Development of Four-Year-Old Children." Demography, 26:545-562.
* Current or former student coauthor/s.